Re: TKPROF

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 18:41:51 +0100

neither did I till I read it in , I think, Cary's book.

It is of course in TFM

SORTS
Sorts traced SQL statements in descending order of specified sort
option before listing them into the output file. If more than one
option is specified, then the output is sorted in descending order by
the sum of the values specified in the sort options. If you omit this
parameter, then TKPROF lists statements into the output file in order
of first use. Sort options are listed as follows

-- the above from the 9.2 docs.

On 9/6/06, Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought I knew tkprof well, but I never knew that the sort effectively
means sort by the sum of these 3 not by each in turn.  Thanks, Niall.

-----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:55 AM To: danielwfink@xxxxxxxxx Cc: crcbedoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: TKPROF

Almost exactly my preferences. I tend to add in a record=sqlfilename as
well. I find this can help me understand the transactions a wee bit better
often.

To the OP what Daniel's command will give you is user issued SQL ( i.e no
recursive sql) in descending elapsed time order (the sort effectively means
sort by the sum of these 3 not by each in turn) and with wait information
detailed (assuming you captured it in the trace).

cheers

Niall

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer:

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info