TDE and execution plans

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:18:13 +0000

Hi,
We are looking into implementing the Oracle eBilling software and will most
likely deploy it in a PCI compliant architecture and configuration. As part of
securing sensitive data on disk, we may use the TDE feature of Oracle RDBMS
(11.2.0.3/11.2.0.4) and it could be at the tablespace level or at the column
level. As I understand it, TDE might have an impact on some of the execution
plans in that for indexes that contain encrypted columns, the optimizer might
not perform range scans and opt for FTS instead. This is primarily driven by
the way encrypted columns are sorted and stored in indexes before and after
encryption.
Does anyone have a first-hand experience with TDE and would like to share their
experience in the context of performance overhead and issues?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amir