Re: TAF with Oracle RAC

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ckaj111@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 08:06:15 +0100

What client software are you using? TAF is, or was when I last
investigated, an OCI only feature.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Chris King <ckaj111@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All!
I noticed that with RAC, if user sessions are active, and one node fails,
the sessions connected to that node first throw errors, and then
automatically reconnect to the other node. I was expecting there would be
no error, just continuous connectivity.

So, to address this issue, I have configured TAF on the client side. Here
is the tnsnames.ora entry:

mydb =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = my.scan.listener )(PORT = 1521)
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME=mydb.domain)
(FAILOVER_MODE =
(TYPE = SELECT)
(METHOD = PRECONNECT)
)
)
)

I then opened a session to RAC and stopped the instance which the session
was connected to, but there was no change in behaviour. I got an ORA-03113
at the client connection when I reissued the select statement, and then
reissuing the select again gave me normal output.

Is this just the way RAC works or am I missing something? Am I using TAF
properly? Should a select statement just continue with a delay but no error
when the node it's connected to goes down?

Thanks in advance!
-ck

--
Niall Litchfield