RE: Synonyms

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Dominic.Brooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:27:04 -0000

Hi Dominic,

> Hard coding the schema name when referencing the objects is generally
not a good
>  practice - completely disagree (from a development perspective).
I disagree! From a developer and DBA perspective.

> I would say that it's not unusual for a complicated application to
span more than
> one schema and for the code to need to reference objects in more than
one schema.
This is true, and not a problem.

> Personally I do not like this to be resolved via synonyms (public or
private).
That's your personal opinion, and I can't deny you that! However, this
is where a (private) synonym comes in most useful and, if I remember my
SQL course from years gone by, exactly what they were designed for.

> I think hosting multiple copies of the same application in the same
database is the
> exception not the rule, even more so in these days of VMs.
Not where I have worked in the last 25 years! Big banks, software
houses, Governemnt etc - all have multiple copies of the same
application in diferent schemas in the same database. (Not in production
I agree, but in QA, test and development, it is quite common.)

Remember too, even in these days of VMs, not every company allows their
use!

Cheers,
Norm.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk