RE: SunFire Server Hangs

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 12:59:55 -0400

A class of things I'd check is trends toward zero in available headroom of
various resources up to the point where the system (and log writing) suspends
and correlations between resources likely to conflict with each other.

FOR EXAMPLE, not necessarily real, perhaps freemem is trending downward, total
swap is almost full, then possibly an attempt to actually swap or page out
can't finish.

Any such deadly embrace should of course either time-out or fail, possibly
causing a re-boot. However there are infinitely many possible and you may have
found one that that didn't present itself as likely enough to code against.
(Begging the question of how it evades some global time-out mechanism).

Again: the example is merely for clarification of the sort of thing I'm
suggesting you check the logs for; it might be entirely impossible in and of
itself. (But surely was present in the early editions of a few early operating
systems.)

mwf