Re: Suggestions for monitoring tools?

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 09:31:33 -0700

On Apr 29, 2005, at 5:24 PM, stephen booth wrote:

> On 4/29/05, Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I've been asked by one of our clients to take over monitoring their
>> Oracle database.
>
> What are you trying to monitor?  Just that the database is up?
> Checking the alert log for errors?  Something else?

Both of those things, and other things like are any tablespaces about
to run out of room, etc.  Ideally this would be something with a GUI so
I can have someone who doesn't know a lot about Oracle keep an eye on
it and know if they need to call me or not.

Someone e-mailed me privately and suggested Enterprise Manager, and
that looks like it might work.  I'll start there, but I'm open to other
ideas.  I know about Karma, which does more or less what I want, but it
doesn't appear to have been updated in a long time so I'm not sure I
want to rely on it.

thanks,

janine