Re: Sudden Backup Slowdown

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 19:16:59 -0500

On 11/5/19 9:48 AM, Charlotte Hammond wrote:

Hi Mladen,

These are SBT channels using Oracle Secure Backup Cloud Module (OSBWS).

No backup suite is being used - these are simply command line RMAN jobs run from a scheduler.
I'll have a look at profiling the CPU usage a bit more and see where that takes me. Unfortunately, as mentioned, I do not have a baseline available for the "good" backups.

Hi Charlotte, Oracle Secure Backup is a backup suite, competing head to head with Commvault, NetBackup, TSM, Avamar, DD Boost, Veeam, Rubrik and Cohesity, to name a few. I have no experience with Oracle Secure Backup and cannot even begin to guess what the problem is. However, having worked for a backup manufacturer for a long time, I know that backup products are very complex and have features like deduplication and compression which can behave in rather interesting fashion, to put it mildly. I would recommend opening a ticket with Oracle about the problems you see.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant