Re: Subject: Re: upgrade OL6 tot OL7 within Cluster

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:01:34 +0000

Hi.

RE: "Fedora is not Redhat EL/Centos."

Well, yes and no. They certainly do differ in that one is an
enterprise OS that has long term support, where stability is a very
high consideration. The other churns out unsupported releases like
they are going out of fashion, which include the occasional mishap! :)
Having said that, Fedora is the proving ground for the next versions
of RHEL, and therefore the clones. RHEL 7 is touted as being a fork of
Fedora 19/20.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

I remember reading something from RH back in the day that it is more
accurate to call it a fork of pieces from 18,19 and 20. I've spent
years playing with Oracle on Fedora for fun, just so I know what is
coming in the new RHEL. When RHEL7 came out, there were very few
surprises as a result. So they are both different and the same,
depending on the perspective and the versions being compared. :)

RE: "Well, I don't have any clients that have $250K - $2M to buy a new
cluster for an OS upgrade."

I hear that! :) I would come back to my earlier point of, do you
really need to upgrade from OL6 to OL7 if you are using UEK? For most
people, including Oracle themselves, the answer seems to be no. :) If
the OS is still supported with erata and UEK updates, then upgrading
seems effort for no value IMHO. Even expensive kit has an end of life,
when the maintenance costs for old kit start to out weigh the cost of
replacing it. It's happening to us now. :(

RE: "Customizations on a production db server?"

On Oracle boxes, not so much. On others, like Tomcat, Apache and
MySQL, we definitely run versions not in the main repo, because the
repo versions are so damn old! :)

RE: "We were doing in place OS upgrades on IBM AIX back in 1999."

This is true for most big iron, except where fundamental architecture
changed. If that is a must for you, then I would still consider RHEL
(and clones) be considered as not "really ready for production",
because I would certainly not trust these upgrades at this point
myself. I'm sure I will get battered for agreeing with you in this
context. :) As always, each situation has to be judged separately.

Cheers

Tim...

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Dave Morgan <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I don't have any clients that have $250K - $2M to buy a new cluster
for an OS upgrade.

I have enough trouble trying to get them to spend that amount for a
production hardware refresh.

Fedora is not Redhat EL/Centos. EL/Centos in place upgrades have been
reliable since 5 (ie upgrade from 5 to 6.

Customizations on a production db server? Frill your boots but not in my
shop.

We were doing in place OS upgrades on IBM AIX back in 1999. I know others
were doing it before us.

YMMV

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited