Re: > Subject: Re: Detailed explanation why uber move from postgress to mysql

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim.evdbt@xxxxxxxxx, Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 08:55:09 -0500

On 12/25/2016 12:43 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:

>> Explaining those features is the least I could do for an Oracle ACE.

Actually, the least you could do is explain them correctly.

You started off OK in describing the Oracle in-memory implementation as a column store, which is easy enough since it is. And you should have stopped there.

Instead, you veered into the weeds with an odd analogy to bitmap indexes, which indicates either unfamiliarity with in-memory column stores, or with bitmap indexes, or both. There is nothing to suggest the method, the manner, the usage, or the impact of bitmap indexes in any in-memory column store implementation.

Actually, I didn't come up with that analogy. The credit goes to another Oracle ACE, soon to be retired:

https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/12c-in-memory/
/
///With the in-memory columnar copy you should be able to drop many “DSS indexes”, thus improving OLTP response times – in effect the in-memory stuff behaves a bit like non-persistent bitmap indexing./
/
I can see that you disagree with such a description, but I cannot claim the authorship. I am glad you recognized that as a falsehood from a mile away and I am sure you will be able to correct the author.

Last but certainly not least, I wish you a merry Christmas.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA