Subject: RE: Please a parameter to disable undo, like _disable_logging

  • From: "Joel Garry" <joelgarry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:09:07 -0700

"Goulet, Dick" wrote:

>There are some things like this that I believe should not be done, even
in test.  The >reason is that now you've crippled a significant item for
database recovery for the >purpose of shaving a couple of microseconds
off of the execution time.  Problem with that >is that when the same
application starts to run in production it will run slower than in >test
& damanagement will want the same performance/crippled database in
production.  Then >when, not if, all hell breaks loose you're the one
trying to explain why the database >can't be recovered.  I personally
like having my test environment, not development, in a >similar
configuration so that all of the background delays play out just like in
>production.

Recovery is the key word.  The recovery requirements for a test system
are different than for OLTP production or other types of production
(except when testing recovery, of course).  I have a situation where the
gigantic data files are reloaded every night nologging - we're talking
shaving hours, not microseconds.  As far as those are concerned, the
recovery granularity is a day.  But that db also contains Portal and SSO
stuff, which is transactional.  So I do nightly hot backups with the
gigantic files readonly - again, minutes versus hours.  Everything else
is DSS so I don't care about recovering it, they just have to do it over
if there were ever a crash.  Of course, test/development isn't separate
from production here, impossible to justify _another_ 3 servers just for
me.  The frustrating thing is Portal generating over 100M per day
archived logs, even when no one is doing anything.

But you are right in that damagement perception trumps all.  And that a
test system should accurately reflect a production system.  Personally I
would like giving developers their own systems, and having test, QA and
production systems successively more tightly controlled.  But I never
seem to get that.

http://www.garry.to