Re: Stress my CPU's

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:47:49 -0700

Just some ideas...

PL/SQL or Java program that performs calculations, calls functions, updates data over and over and over and over....
Use dbms_scheduler or dbms_jobs to kick of the programs at random intervals
Have one session update data that another session wants to read

Robertson Lee - lerobe wrote:
Hi,
Oracle 10.2.0.3
AIX 6.1
I have been asked to do some stress testing and it is causing me stress ;-) I need to really hammer the CPU's on the box as we want to test dynamically allocating CPU's from another partition to handle the increased workload. I am having difficulty getting the CPU's maxed out or indeed to even use more than 2. I have been running cartesian joins with various hints (parellism, using hashes etc) but just cannot get the relevant amount of work generated. It tends to spike at about 80% on a couple of CPU's then the result set comes back after about 30 secs and CPU useage then obviously drops. This is a T & D server with 16 CPU's on it. Are there any clever tricks out there I can use to simulate a full on workload?? TIA Lee

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com