Stress Test Ideas

  • From: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:15:15 -0500

I put together a little PL/SQL package which basically duplicates Tom
Kyte's "runstats" script. I have added session_event and system_event
info however, and it can handle up to 5 side by side compares at this
point, it is easy to add more.

Another thing I am working on is a little "bench mark" script. Some
ideas I have to "stress" the database are...

CREATE TABLE NOLOGGING | LOGGING

DROP TABLE

UPDATE TABLE (SINGLE COLUMN | MULTIPLE COLUMNS)

UPDATE TABLE BULK (SINGLE COLUMN | MULTIPLE COLUMNS)

DELETE TABLE

INSERT TABLE (SQL)

INSERT TABLE (PLSQL LOOP)

HARD PARSE TEST - How fast can SQL statements hard parse.

REDO GENERATE TEST - How fast can I generate N MB of redo or how much
redo can I generate in N minutes.

COMMIT TEST - How fast can I commit.

ROLLBACK TEST - How fast can I rollback a large transaction.

These are just some ideas I have, do you have any you can add that you
think would be capable of providing some sort of decent benchmark.

I plan on combining the benchmark with the modified runstats output into
a single script. I should be able to use the results to get a pretty
good idea of what is fast and what is not so fast. The thing that is
spurring this is that I may end of being responsible of upgrading
(software application) a large customer database which I currently do
not have access to and I want to know how fast these type of operations
can be performed in relation to the test database I will be working with
here.