Re: Streams for one-time single source replication

  • From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 15:20:41 -0600

In that case I would definitely go with the physical standby with log
shipping and drop those schemas post-cutover.

The only "downtime" doing this on the cutover weekend would be the patch to
11.2.0.3.8.  Of course, you'd want to test the .8 patch application prior
to go-live weekend on the AIX 7 box to make sure there are no surprises.

So, in a nutshell I would do:

Prior to cutover weekend:
RMAN backup existing DB
Restore DB as standby on AIX 7 server
Setup archivelog shipping from AIX5 server to AIX7 server
Verify log application is working on the AIX7 server and it is staying up
to date
(the "other" Chris mentioned setting up Flashback here on the standby
server - so look into that)

Open Standby Database on AIX7 box - apply .08 patch and verify
Blowaway or flashback standby database if possible and remove 08 patch from
binaries on AIX 7 server
If not possible, then recreate standby from new RMAN backup
Restart log application on AIX7 server and verify it's staying up to date

Cutover Weekend:
--------------------------
stop all processes connecting to db
archive log current AIX5 db
shutdown AIX5 db
Verify AIX7 db has newest archivelog file and applied it
Open AIX7 db and apply .08 patch
Open database for "business"
Backup schemas to be dropped
Drop irrelevant schemas

Optional:
Have users scream at you for dropping a schema they told you was safe to be
dropped.

Chris

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx