RE: Strange error when resizing MEMORY_TARGET

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JC1706@xxxxxxx>, <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle Discussion List'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:57:21 -0500

After conferring with Tony offline, I realized the wonderment is that it is
complaining about setting MEMORY_TARGET at all. Changing the target should
not drive any immediate mandatory change and therefore should not toss an
error as if it was trying to grow or shrink anything.

I suspect something else weird is going on (like not interpreting the G as
gig), but why should it complain even if you set the target (which it can
ignore) to zero, and an invalidly interpreted parameter value should abort
the processing not pretend it is trying to actually shrink something.

I have not searched for a bug, but this is ringing bells and I think I'm
having a senior moment about it.