Strange RMAN issue

  • From: "Robertson Lee - lerobe" <Lee.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:40:32 -0000

Hi,

Running 10.2.0.3 AIX 6

Just switched my test DB into ARCHIVELOG mode and when I attempted to
backup the db to tape via rman it is complaining as follows.

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on c2 channel at 03/10/2009
13:38:13
ORA-19602: cannot backup or copy active file in NOARCHIVELOG mode

However, a quick command in sqlplus shows the following....

SQL> archive log list;
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            /u01/backup
Oldest online log sequence     121
Next log sequence to archive   123
Current log sequence           123

SQL> select log_mode from v$database;

LOG_MODE
------------
ARCHIVELOG

I am confused as I have done this numerous times on other DB's and never
seen this behaviour ?? Also, I have log switched a few times and my
archive logs are being written to the arch area as expected.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I cannot find a thing on google or
Metalink.

Regards

Lee

privileged.