Re: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

  • From: "Mark Strickland" <strickland.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:02:56 -0700

We're seriously considering doing the same thing.  Out of 1.6-Tb, we
have 1.3-Tb in LONGs, LONG RAWs and CLOBs that we're probably going to
move out of Oracle.  We're reaching a tipping point where we'll soon
have to buy more SAN storage, multiplied by three (physical standby
and full copy for Staging environment).  I'm very interested in seeing
other replies, ie, horror stories, gotchas, etc.

We're also testing compressing the LONGs and CLOBs before they're
inserted into the database and engineering the application to
compress/uncompress in flight.

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Seattle,  WA