Re: Storing blobs in database vs filesystem

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:26:11 -0500

Sandeep,

I think you've touched on most of the relevant issues.
 - One other issue to consider is whether the blob data is manipulated in
the database.
 - I think that most filesystems can handle that amount of files, but may
need a sys admin who knows what they are doing to tune the file system a
little.
 - Storing the blobs on file systems also offers the opportunity to store
the blobs on another server, and reduce your Oracle licensing costs.
 - You shouldn't be building your test and development databases with
exp/imp. Clone the database, preferably from a backup, so you actually test
your backups occassionally.
 - Having the blobs on a filesystem can cause additional administrative
work, for example when you build the test database, then somebody will have
the additional step of copying the files to the test system.
 - Maybe more programming work as the application is developed. Your
developers should be consulted.
 - In summary, there is no hard-and-fast rule of which is better. Your
mileage may vary. You'll just need to examine all the factors and then
probably do a benchmark with your data in your environment to come to a
conclusion.

Dennis Williams