Stored Outlines in 10gR1

  • From: "Daniel W. Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:46:26 -0700

I'm rtfming & googling and thought I'd aOL (ask Oracle-L) to learn some of the tips, tricks and traps for stored outlines. The scenario is that a 3rd party application is periodically generating a bad execution plan because of bind variable peeking. The runtime for a process goes from less than 5 minutes to over 2 hours. We can't touch the code, though we will be requesting that the vendor address this particular issue to really solve the problem.

In the meantime, we need to look for a solution we can implement, so my thoughts turn to stored outlines. Any advice, comments and warnings (especially!) are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel Fink