Storage options on SolarisX86

  • From: David Turner <dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

In the shop I work Standard Edition is the rule for
most of our database. It's worked well for the most
part but there are times where we've had to go to
Enterprise, which I didn't complain about.

For the systems that can still run on Standard Edition
I've been looking for a way to get them more
horsepower. Standard Edition is limited to 4
processors, so the only alternative is to get more
mhz. However, I've been told there are limited drivers
under Solaris X86 for raid controllers.

Is there anyone out there running serious systems
under Solaris X86? Moving to Linux for us is a couple
years off. I could have Oracle 10G Standard Edition
running on cheaper faster x86 boxes tomorrow if I can
resolve this disk issue.

Thx, Dave