Re: Storage cache impact

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:47:56 +0100

Are you talking about exadata storage index,
or just any cache in a general SAN?

If you are talking about general SAN and their cache:
I never found a storage-admin who accepted to flush or even worse restart it's
box just to test a 'cold' cache.
But you can just easily do some estimations:

1st get the real average physical IO time of the disks from your SAs (you
probably will not get these numbers at the first attempt. Try to go for some
beers with them!)

then get the AWR or statspack report of the test-run you did. There replace all
the average IO-times (scattered, sequential, direct, ...)  with the probably
higher numbers you got from your SA.
Do the reverse calculations. This should give you a 'worst time' scenario!

this is by far not 100% perfect. But it was the best I got.

 Martin