Re: Storage EMC

  • From: tboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:40:25 -0400 (EDT)

See if EMC can support "raid 3" configurations.  Raid 3
(others may call it something else) combines the best features
of 0+1 (striping for performance) and raid-5 (parity checking)
configs without their respective downsides (50% data loss
and horrible write performance respectively).

Raid 3 is where you stripe a set of disks (say 5 disks),
then have a dedicated hot-swap and a second dedicated parity
disk.  Great for database installations, if your SAN vendor supports it.

boss