RE: Stop defragmenting and start ...

  • From: "Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:52:35 -0400

To shed a bit more light on the timing of the papers, here is the abstract
from the second version:

ABSTRACT
Fragmentation is an issue of great concern to database administrators.
Oracle has a multitude of commands, options, views,
and statistics that address various aspects of fragmentation, but it is not
obvious how these capabilities should be used on a
day-to-day basis. There is also a great deal of partial information,
obsolete information, and misinformation that has been
published on this subject that can confuse and frustrate administrators.
Most of this material was written before Oracle7
release 7.3 became available and commonly used. New functionality in Oracle7
release 7.3 reduces fragmentation issues and
allows different techniques to be used that are both simpler and more
effective. This paper describes Oracle's capabilities
related to fragmentation and gives concrete and specific advise on how these
capabilities should be applied.
This paper is targeted at an audience of experienced database
administrators. It is based on Oracle7 release 7.3 and also
covers new features introduced in Oracle8 version 8.0.

HTH,
Ruth