RE: Stop defragmenting and start ...

  • From: "Jacques Kilchoer" <Jacques.Kilchoer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:20:11 -0700

The "pctincrease" parameter made sense to me in the days before
unlimited extents, in the same way "locally managed autoallocate" would
make sense to me now - if you have a table that you think is going to be
small but you're not sure. In the days before unlimited extents, once
you reached the maximum number of extents for a table, you were stuck.
Of course nowadays with unlimited extents there is less of a reason to
use "autoallocate" than there was to use pctincrease in pre-7.3 Oracle.

The "how to stop defragmenting and stop living" paper was originally
written before locally managed tablespaces. I remember reading it before
8.1 was released.