RE: Stop Criteria for Sql Execution

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Jonathan Lewis' <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Waleed.Khedr@xxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:44:18 -0500

Jonathan,

My simple point was that the query was stupidly written - a column logically
cannot be both null and 20 at the same time.  Never mind the use of bind
variables.

While I agree that Oracle "should be" able to determine that logically this
is a silly query and return no rows without doing any real work, the
programmer "should be" able to construct an un-ambiguous query and not
depend on Oracle to clean up his/her lack of thought and attention to
detail.

Tom