Re: Sticky bit set on linux password file

  • From: TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:08:27 -0400

so the upper S means that file is NOT set executable even though the
setuid bit is turned on, dang and I thought I've been doing this a long
time but must have missed that one somewhere along the way.  I can't for
the life of me figure out the purpose.

Joe

---------------------------------------
You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3.
Fast + Right is Expensive
Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
Right + Cheap will take a while.

"Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

07/01/2008 02:56 PM
Please respond to jkstill@xxxxxxxxx

From
"Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
"Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Sticky bit set on linux password file

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The following test was performed:

shutdown database
chmod 640 orapworcl
startup database
logon to database remotely as sysdba

It doesn't appear that the SUID bit serves any purpose.

Does someone here know why the password file is  SUID?

I hit SEND just a bit too soon.

After doing that test, I saw that the sticky bit was again set on the
password file.
This occurs during the mount of the controlfile (9.2.0.7 database)

-- SQL> startup nomount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  337609664 bytes
Fixed Size                   742336 bytes
Variable Size             218103808 bytes
Database Buffers          117440512 bytes
Redo Buffers                1323008 bytes
SQL> !ls -l orapworcl
-rw-r-----  1 oracle oinstall    1536 Oct 30  2007 orapworcl

SQL> alter database mount;

Database altered.