RE: Steps to Upgrade Rman Catalog Database.

  • From: "Shanmugam, Dhandapani" <dhandapani.shanmugam@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bradd Piontek" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:14:09 +0530

thanks all for the valid information

Thanks and Regards,
Dhan

________________________________

        From: Bradd Piontek [mailto:piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:09 PM
        To: Shanmugam, Dhandapani
        Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: Steps to Upgrade Rman Catalog Database.

        I've always just kept the catalog database at the latest
version, per what you've read. So, before I deploy a patchset to an
actual database:
        1. patch the Oracle_home for the Recovery Catalog and follow the
patch procedures for the database.
        2. RMAN catalog=username/password
        3. upgrade catalog;

        You should be able to find a compatibility matrix for Catalog
versions and rman client versions on Metalink. I've never seen a reason
to have multiple catalogs on one database, YMMV.

        Bradd Piontek

        On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Shanmugam, Dhandapani
<dhandapani.shanmugam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

                We have created a new Oracle 10.2.0.3 rman recovery
catalog which works
                fine with our Oracle 9 and 10 (10.2.0.3) databases on
Solaris Server

                Problem is that I also just created a new installation
of Oracle
                10.2.0.4 on a new Solaris server but I can't seem to
register my new
                database from this server. I get the following message
when I connect
                from the 10.2.0.4 client to the 10.2.0.3 RMAN catalog
database:

                $ rman target sys/$SYS catalog rman/xxxxxxx@ccrcat

                Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue
May 27 09:50:14
                2008

                Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

                connected to target database: ASCT (DBID=2479914243)
                connected to recovery catalog database
                PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVCAT version 10.02.00.03 in
RCVCAT database
                is not current
                PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVMAN version 10.02.00.03 in
RCVCAT database
                is not current

                From metalink i understood that
                RMAN catalog schema version should be atleast equal to
or greater than
                its target database. So yes upgrade to 10.2.0.4
                According to this metalink note: RMAN Compatibility
Matrix  Doc ID:
                Note:73431.1 ,
                My question is what are the steps I need to follow for
upgrading catalog
                database. Also i have installed 10.2.0.4 oracle software
on rman catalog
                database server.Kindly advice on this

                Thanks and Regards,
                Dhan