Standy database / RMAN

  • From: Manjula Krishnan <oradba_la@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi:

I want to implement both 9i Data Guard and RMAN on one of our servers (AIX 5.2,
Oracle 9.2.0.4 64 bit). This server is in the process of being tested. It will
go into production sometime in October. Hot backups are currently being
performed nightly (just with scripts no RMAN).
1. I want to setup RMAN. How easy or difficult is it to switch from these
scripts to using RMAN?
2. I also want to implement logical standby for max availability.
           -- When the data is refreshed for going live, will it affect the
logical standy in any way. I think I will have to recreate it.
         -- What about RMAN? How will the backups using either RMAN or the
scripts affect the standby?

I am reading the Oracle DataGuard (rel 9.2) on technet and other related
metalink documents.

What else do I need to be aware of? Please point me to anything else you think
I should read before getting started.

Thanks,

Manjula