Re: Standby redo logs

  • From: Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:27:07 +0530

Hi Michael,

There are no danger at all if you don't have standby redo logs either in
11g or 12c if DataGuard functioning in maximum performance. Oracle
recommends to have real time apply so that even in maximum performance in
case of disaster you may have very minimal data loss, To use of real time
apply then you must create standby redo logs then the remote file server
process writes the redo data to standby redo log files on the standby
database. In case you haven't configured SRL then in case of disaster you
may have data loss same data as one online redo log transactions/size if
you want to overcome this situation then ALWAYS avail real time apply.

When we say maximum protection or availability mode then standby redo logs
is MUST.
So basically its all depends on what protection mode the database is in.

I hope this clear...Thank you.

--
Nassyam Basha.
Oracle DBA