RE: Standby Database performance

  • From: "CRISLER, JON A" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "kapilvaish1@xxxxxxxxx" <kapilvaish1@xxxxxxxxx>, Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:08:16 +0000

I find it odd that you say DG did not scale.  I would suggest going back and
looking at DG again: if implemented properly, it should save a great deal of
labor since it will manage archive gaps for you.
Have you implemented statspack on the standby side?  AWR reports will not be
helpful if I recall correctly (i.e. they don't work on standby, at least for
10g), but there is a technote that shows you how to add statspack to a standby
db, so it would give you additional metrics to help diagnose the problem.

How hard is your interconnect running ?  We have found a lot of benefit in
running 10g Ethernet with jumbo frames.  Also, have your sysadmin / platform
engineer check your HBA's to make sure they are optimially setup for high i/o
to your SAN (or network connections if NFS).  Look at things like proper
multipath setup, proper queue lengths etc.  Consider running Orion to benchark
your disk i/o, and compare that to the primary side.  Run against all LUN's /
filesystems as well as some might perform worse than others.

From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>