Re: Standard Edition Recycle Bin

  • From: "Chris Dunscombe" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cdunscombe@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:54:45 +0100

Hi,

From what I remember from when I used SE a few years back the recycle bin
wasn't "part of " SE and you couldn't use the standard SQL syntax to restore a
dropped table from the recycle bin. However a dropped table still existed in
the recycle bin as asd£5sdfsd$ whatever type table name which you could access
like a normal table and do "restore" via CTAS.

HTH

Chris

On Friday, 12 September 2014, 16:00, Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Oracle very rarely licenses based on technology.  Their licensing model seems
to be based on feature and function, which is one reason why it is so terribly
difficult to track license usage.

In this case, you note that the *function* is 'flashback table',
      and as you note there are two different technologies involved.
      What makes this one extra confusing is that some of the Oracle
      docs (mainly MOS) talk about 'flashback drop', but there is no
      such command.

However, the recycle bin seems to be available to you.  In MOS, it
      appears that all discussion of recyclebin is found under EE.  Have
      you perhaps patched the SE and accidentally re-enabled [some of]
      the EE features, as can easily happen?

I've often said "In a court of law, a judge usually doesn't accept
      'I read it on the internet' as defense". You want to get the word
      from Oracle - in writing.  Not from us.

/Hans

On 12/09/2014 8:37 AM, Charlotte Hammond (Redacted sender
charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

Ouch - my head hurts now!   If I un-drop a table using "FLASHBACK TABLE...TO
BEFORE DROP" I'm not using "FLASHBACK TABLE" even though that's the first two
words in the command?   I see what you mean (i.e. I'm not using Flashback PITR)
but I that's just plain confusing!   The syntax for both types of FLASHBACK
TABLE appears on the same page/diagram in the SQL manual so it looks like
different aspects of the same feature.

>Thanks!
>Charlotte
>

>On Friday, September 12, 2014 3:16 PM, "Radoulov, Dimitre"
><cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>Hi,
>if I read it correctly, "Differences Between
                    Enterprise, Standard and Standard One Editions on
                    Oracle 11.2 (Doc ID 1084132.1)" doesn't mention
>*Flashback drop* as an enterprise only feature. It
                    does indicate *Flashback table*, but that's a
                    different feature:

>http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmflash.htm#BRADV81511
>
>There's also How To Delete/Purge Recyclebin or
                    DBA_RECYCLBIN For Objects Older Than x Days/minutes
                    (Doc ID 1596147.1) that applies to
>Oracle Database - Standard Edition - Version
                    11.2.0.3 and later ...

>Regards
>Dimitre
>

>On 12/09/2014 15:59, Charlotte Hammond (Redacted sender
>charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
>
>Ah, thank you, well that would be great if that's the case!   Are you able to
>point to some docs which distinguish between the two?
>>

>>Thanks!
>>Charlotte
>>

>>On Friday, September 12, 2014 2:14 PM, Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote: