Re: Standard Edition Recycle Bin

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:16:56 +0200

Hi,
if I read it correctly, "Differences Between Enterprise, Standard and Standard One Editions on Oracle 11.2 (Doc ID 1084132.1)" doesn't mention *Flashback drop* as an enterprise only feature. It does indicate *Flashback table*, but that's a different feature:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmflash.htm#BRADV81511

There's also How To Delete/Purge Recyclebin or DBA_RECYCLBIN For Objects Older Than x Days/minutes (Doc ID 1596147.1) that applies to
Oracle Database - Standard Edition - Version 11.2.0.3 and later ...

Regards
Dimitre

On 12/09/2014 15:59, Charlotte Hammond (Redacted sender charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
Ah, thank you, well that would be great if that's the case! Are you able to point to some docs which distinguish between the two?

Thanks!
Charlotte

On Friday, September 12, 2014 2:14 PM, Freek D'Hooge <freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I think "flashback table" and "flashback table to before drop" are 2 different licensing things. Flashback table will use the data from the undo tablespaces, while "flashback table to before drop" is just flipping a status flag.

Similar statements, entirely different working

Regards,

Freek

On vr, 2014-09-12 at 03:34 -0700, Charlotte Hammond wrote:
Hi All,

Just a quick sanity check :- is there any point in leaving the recycle bin enabled (the default) in SE/SE1? Since Flashback Table is not available in SE I don't see any point.

Hmm, I had thought that we were reasonably safe from accidentally using un-licenced features in SE and was expecting ORA-00439: feature not enabled for flashback table (rather than it actually working). I wish Oracle wouldn't enable stuff by default you can't actually use (particularly in SE when you don't even get the option to pay to use it). Fortunately this DB wasn't in commission yet, so I can call it evaluation(!), and go and rebuild it again without the recycle bin.....

Charlotte