Re: Splitting production and development/test at the DBA level?

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mkline1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:17:26 -0600

Michael,

Gee, I want to be on your production team. My experience is that test/dev
databases consume a lot more time that properly configured production
databases.
   How will you handle off-hour support rotation? If the test/dev people
are on the rotation, then I would advocate not such a rigid split of the
team.
   Another idea while you are evaluating this change, implement formal
policies for promoting production changes. The changes must first be applied
to a dev instance which is a recent clone of production. This is the ITIL
model. This would argue for the production people to also have control of
the dev instances since it doesn't make sense for one person to do the dev
update and then have a separate person perform the production update.

Dennis Williams