Re: Speaking of New Features

  • From: Ahbaid Gaffoor <ahbaid@xxxxxxx>
  • To: chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:04:21 -0700

Chet, I like it. Building on your suggestion:

What I'd also like to see is the following additions to the SELECT statement

--
-- Select all columns except those listed
--

--
-- Select columns that match an expression

In tables with hundres of columns named ATTR_001 thru ATTR_500 it is really painful to write a select for all but the last two columns.

regards
Ahbaid

chet justice wrote:
Any thoughts on the "new" syntax for INSERT statements below?

INSERT INTO my_table
  ( id => seq.nexval,
    create_date => SYSDATE,
    update_date => SYSDATE,
    col1 => 'A',
    col2 => 'SOMETHING',
    col3 => 'SOMETHING',
    col4 => 'SOMETHING',
    col5 => 'SOMETHING',
    col6 => 'SOMETHING',
    col7 => 'SOMETHING',
    col8 => 'SOMETHING',
    col9 => 'SOMETHING',
    col10 => 'SOMETHING',
    col11 => 'SOMETHING',
    col12 => 'SOMETHING',
    col13 => 'SOMETHING',
    col14 => 'SOMETHING' );

Thought of one day while trying to clean up (make human readable) someone else's code. I would either get too many values or not enough. After copying the INSERT columns and subsequent VALUES clause into an Excel spreadsheet to compare them side by side, I thought, hey, what about named notation?

Anyway, I created the "Idea" on Oracle Mix here <https://mix.oracle.com/ideas/94278-position-insert-syntax> if you are inclined to, one way or another, to vote.

chet

--
chet justice