RE: Spanish-language Oracle resources?

  • From: "Alvaro Jose Fernandez" <alvaro.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 01:05:02 +0200

Hello Dennis,

I'm from Spain so I will reply to some points,

I have a colleague who is working to become an Oracle DBA. As we've
noted on this list before, an Oracle DBA needs to be a good reader.
Unfortunately, his first language is Spanish. My assumption is that he
can learn faster with Spanish-language materials, so should exhaust
those first. I'm assuming with time, his English reading skills will
improve with practice and having grasped concepts by reading Spanish,
when those concepts are later encountered in English they will be
re-learned more easily. Let me know if there is a better idea.

IMHO, best is to gently convince your colleague that the vast majority
of material is still in English (and probably it will continue to be),
so he can understand the need to at least become get a general knowledge
in English. I started 6 years ago with Oracle and haven't found material
in Spanish (apart from programming lists and personal websites) of equal
quality compared to the English sources available everywhere. This is in
contrast to Microsoft SQL Server - there many materials for this db, and
many updated info , in Spanish.

    I know a few people who participate on this list are from
Spanish-speaking countries. Can you point me to Spanish-language
resources?

            Have your colleage check some Spanish pointers.  for
example: http://cursos.atica.um.es/cursosdba/dba10g1.php

-         Does Oracle make its documentation available in Spanish? I
poked around but no joy so far.

Haven't saw it.

-         I went into Amazon.com, searched for the word Oracle and using
quite a few of the great classics which have been translated into
Spanish. Do you have any other ideas where Spanish books on Oracle can
be obtained?

In many technical libraries/bookstores . Here in northern Spain (Vigo),
we have fewer than in the main cities (Madrid, Barcelona, etc); but yes
there are many Oracle books translated (and very well translated in my
opinion), many of the from the Oracle Press series.

From the RA-MA book publisher (http://www.ra-ma.es
<http://www.ra-ma.es/>  and http://www.ra-ma.com <http://www.ra-ma.com/>
), there are some good Spanish DBA books. Also from Ediciones Eni
(http://www.ediciones-eni.com <http://www.ediciones-eni.com/>  ) there
are good and updated 10g and PL/SQL Spanish books.

-         Are there any good web sites?

  - Any good discussion groups? Again, this list is great, but is
conducted in English.

          Haven't checked these items particularly.

 - I notice that when I search for a web page with Google, and the
language on the page isn't English, Google helpfully offers to translate
the page. I'm guessing there is a way to get Google to offer to
translate a page into Spanish? Since Oracle uses many common English
words, is auto-translation even worth the trouble?

      For technical issues, this will result in a mess...I don't think
that's a good idea

regards,

Alvaro