Sort on column def.

  • From: "Brady, Mark" <Mark.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:56:45 -0400

10gR2 Docs:
SORT
The SORT keyword is valid only if you are creating this table as part of a hash
cluster and only for columns that are also cluster columns.
This clause instructs the database to sort the rows of the cluster on this
column before applying the hash function. Doing so may improve response time
during subsequent operations on the clustered data.

I don't get it. My rudimentary understanding is: Oracle uses a hash function on
the clustered column that would produce a "Block offset" and place that row
there... so the location of the row is predetermined, what does it buy to sort
the inserts? Is it purely an efficient space allocation thing? If done in
order, the less likely to chain rows? Something like that?

>>> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, may contain legal,
professional or other privileged information, and are intended solely for the
addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not use the information
in this e-mail in any way, delete this e-mail and notify the sender. CEG-IP2