Re: Sort Order in Nested query

  • From: Fergal Taheny <ftaheny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:42:17 +0000

Hi Niall,
I'm taking transactions from a staging table and loading them into another
table. I'm using the sequence to generate surrogate key values for the
Target table.

The problem is I need to batch the transactions into buckets based on
certain criteria and the sum of the amounts in a bucket can't exceed a
certain value. I resorted to a plsql loop to do this.

The logic requires that the records in the cursor are sorted and that's
where I ran into the issue with sorting and sequences.

I could leave the sequence out of the query and increment the sequence for
each iteration of the loop but I wasn't mad about that idea as I think
(could be wrong) that that would involve a context switch each time the
sequence was incremented.

That make any sense?

Thanks,
Fergal