Re: Sometimes I despair

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:02:36 +0000

This type of garbage often has nothing to do with the candidate. Its just the
idiot contract company trying to increase his profit. If you interview the guy
make sure to find out what he is being paid. You might be stunned at his markup.

My former contract company on my last project pulled something like this. They
brought in a straight pl/sql developer at $200/hour. Unless you have the Oracle
Consulting(Oracle has insane markups) name behind you no one pays this much for
a straight pl/sql developer. He was not very good so management wanted to fire
him. When you come in at that cost you are expected to shine from the first
day.

The contract representative (who a VP said "I can see the grease on the floor
as he walks by") immediately offered to cut his rate in half to $100/hour.

How much do you think they were actually paying the developer? They did not ask
him if he would take a pay cut. So the contract company was making most of the
rate.

This is why contract companies in the US make you sign a contract threatening
to sue you if you discuss your compensation because they don't want the client
to know the mark up.

From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
Of recruiters, and indeed their candidates.

So I got a CV (resume) today. The agent's email was entitled "The Best
Developer in England" and urged me to get in contact quickly to avoid a
'bidding war'. So far so hyped, but then of course I just had to read the CV of
the best developer in England. There were many good bits, but I spluttered my
coffee at

"<name> undertook a short term contract, acting as holiday cover for <name of
consultancy withheld>'s senior UML designers and C# developers. This major
United Kingdom Government project <is an information website>. In his role as
holiday cover James was responsible for a number of core designs"

So there you have it, major government projects are designed by the holiday
cover guy.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA