Re: Something easy? ORA-01450: maximum key length (6398) exceeded

  • From: "Norman Dunbar" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:38:59 +0000

Larry,

>> Got an import from a client that kept getting

>> IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1450 encountered
>> ORA-01450: maximum key length (6398) exceeded

>>  when creating index for table below.

You need to patch to 9204 or above (9207 is currently the highest, 9208
coming 'soon'). I had exactly the same problem on a 9203 (I think)
database. We had a table with an index that was over 4000 bytes long.
I've no idea how it was create or how the problem was detected - it was
over a year and a half ago, and I'm getting old) but I've a funny
feeling that it was a bug introduced at some point.

Our app was a third party one (oh hum) and full of little niceties such
as an index consisting of two columns each varchar2(4000) etc. It also
had no primary keys on the tables and suffered from duplicates all the
time. This was due to 'select max(id) from table; add 1; use as new id.
Oops !). I'm no longer at that company :o)

See note 136158.1 for details - although it appears to imply that 6498
is the max key size in a 16K block, yet yours is barfing at 6398. Who's
nicked the 100 bytes ? However, you also show that your block sizes are
8192 each which surprises me as an 8K block supports a maximum key
length of only 3218 bytes. (Which might really be 3118 - who knows?).

You might also be hitting bug 1919383, see note 1919383.8 for details.

HTH

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk