RE: Some experience using hash clusters?

  • From: "Nelson, Allan" <anelson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:23:12 -0500

Not experience but I did attend a class that Steve Adams taught and in
terms of Lookup tables he indicated that there were some circumstances
where a hash cluster with a primary key index would offer some scope for
performance improvement.

Did you note all the qualifiers in the sentence above=3F  His analysis was
based on keeping a single row per hash key in the cluster which gave the
best access path performance.  I won't say more as he teaches the class
=66or profit.

On a different note, I have had a number of my preconceptions shattered
that were based on statements of the form:  For all uses, feature x is a
bad idea.  Circumstances vary widely.  Only accurate analysis suffices
to show that in a given set of circumstances feature x does not provide
a good match.

In regard to your specific comments below iff you can guarantee that a
hash key points to a single row then you have demonstrated that i/o is
minimized as you will do a single block read assuming no block chaining
due to row length.

Allan