RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better? (specifically, when do most actual failovers really occur?)

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:32:55 -0700

 >>>The OS mirror issue means that system admin must
>>>unfortunetely be quite involved in the failover process or
>>>DBA must take some tasks from sysadmin. I used to work in
>>>such an environment, for example, for me as DBA it was no
>>>issue to keep in synch and activate all scripts, jobs, etc
>>>at the standby machine.

herein lies the main concern I have.  DG is great for
keeping a database replicated, yes, but upon switchover
there needs to be the total environment there...all the
stuff the site has **outside** the database for the workflow.
Such things as UTL_FILE stuff, external tables, scripts,
etc... seems storage level would be the only way to
have the operations environment replicated.

--
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l