RE: Some Dataguard is good, lots more must be better?

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:25:05 +0200

I've never seen any other licensing policy than the current one,
regarding standby.
The 10-day issue that is confusing you applies to Active/Passive
clusters, e.g. HACMP. You're allowed to INSTALL the oracle software on a
server w/o licensing it, if this server is the passive half of a cluster
(which is called standby too, just to exploit the paradigm of marketing
by confusion as much as possible) and as long as the software isn't
started at more than 10 individual days/year, e.g. to test the cluster.
Just a 5 minute test blows away 1 day out of 10! Of course you're
allowed to test as many times as you like at that day J.

Because the software IS running continuously when you run a standby,
regardless whether it is DG or vanilla hot standby, you have to pay the
licenses.
(maybe you could get away with a standby that is catching up every 37
days? Of course the amount of redo of 37 days must be stored somewhere
during the interval, and the recovery of 37 days of redo shouldn't span
more than one calendar day at a time. It is questionable whether a
standby that takes a day to become available is of any value, it
depends. I'm not a lawyer, and take no liability/responsibility for this
suggestion, try at your own risk!)

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===