Solutions for a parallel system

  • From: "Ram Raman" <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:30:50 -0600

Hi all,

We have been requested to come up with a solution for the following problem:
We have a production system that is about 200Gb. We want to be able to build
a parallel database that will resemble the production and cannot be out of
sync with the production by more than 24 hrs. Dataguard was suggested as an
option.

With dataguard,  my understanding is that the standby will have to be on a
server of the same OS level, patch level, disk layout, etc. We do not
have such a scenario here. Also they want to be able to work from the
parallel environment (they may be making changes on their own). This means
dataguard will not work as the standby will have to be in managed recovery
mode. Even if we put it in OPEN mode and work on it, there is going to be a
huge backlog of logs to be applied later on. I would think that would cause
a big delay in refreshing? I was checking the redo log generated in prod for
the past month. The average per day seems to be 20GB and maximum of
~60GB/day and min of 5G/day. Not sure how long it would to take to apply
60GB.  Also this kind of setup would require manual intervention from the
DBA everyday to put in managed recovery mode, open etc.

Can the listers suggest options available for the problem. 10g. We plan on
using this in other systems too, which are much smaller.

Thanks.