Re: Solaris OEL?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 00:02:20 -0500

On 12/02/2016 11:48 PM, Ryan January wrote:

I'm hearing from a few respected Solaris admins that Solaris development may end at 11.4 Has anyone else heard this?
One "source" they passed on is below. Nothing 100% confirmed, however I can't say I'm that surprised given the shift we've witnessed in the last few years.

https://www.thelayoff.com/t/KBEVoB1

That is the article from OS news:

http://www.osnews.com/story/29525/Oracle_rumoured_to_end_Solaris_development

There is nobody who can either confirm or deny this, short of Oracle Corp. officers. However, I have heard another rumour: in light of its "cloud first" strategy and "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" announcement of Oracle 12.2, Oracle Corp. will blend Solaris and Linux operating system into a single cloud operating system called "Slowaris". The OS will be as reliable as weather. Pricing and licensing are yet to be decided upon.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA