RE: Solaris 10 and Oracle 10g - swap space problem

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:09:52 -0400

ZFS Tunning might be relative to your situation.
You can limit the amount of memory ZFS reserves for the file system.

It was reserving about 11Gbs on our system.  (of 32Gbs, solaris 5.10
T1000), It has been lowered to 2Gbs, and this weekend again it will be
lowered to 1Gb.

Thinks like logging in are now much faster.   It used to be that when
you start anything it took awhile.

So the idea is for it the cache the file system, and it is supposed to
give up the memory if something else needs it, but what does it have to
do to find memory for the processes that are starting... over and
over...  That is the question.

Cat /etc/system
set zfs:zfs_arc_max=0x80000000

Let me know.   (Most of this is 'sysadmin' stuff so you might want to
google or ask around for more info on it).

We use DISM, and I find it convenient, certainly moreso than managing
the pools on all my databases, I just don't have the cycles for that.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546