Re: Snapshot Thin Clone of Physical Standby

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark Burgess <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 07:27:39 -0500

Seth & Mark,

When you did this, did you create a new control file or use the cloned the
standby control file and activate the clone? I did one test with stopping
MRP but still got the error about renaming the SRL (testing on same host).
Note that log shipping to the original standby was still running.

I wonder if we should just activate the cloned standby at this point?

Don.
On Oct 3, 2015 2:42 PM, "Mark Burgess" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

That is the same approach we use for this - cancel MR on the standby,
snapshot the file systems (ZFS in this case) and then activate the cloned
standby in the target environment which takes care of the redo logs etc.

Performing this type of cloning is greatly simplified when you have the
option to clone to a different host. Previously when using the same host
the approach then required renaming the control file, redo log, temp etc
along with using RMAN to do the datafile rename (catalog the snapshot
directory, switch to datafile copy).

On 4 Oct 2015, at 6:29 AM, Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've done this successfully without the need for recovery. If you cancel
managed recovery before taking the snapshot, the standby will do a
checkpoint and give you a consistent database.

Seth Miller