Re: Snapshot Thin Clone of Physical Standby

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 16:19:59 -0500

So in the case of the source DB being a primary (or standalone) DB, we can
just mount the cloned controlfile, rename the datafiles/logs (if needed)
and then open it and let it do crash recovery.

If the source DB is a physical standby, we can create a new controlfile and
open resetlogs.

Either way we then do a DBNEWID so we'd be doing a resetlogs anyway. I'm
curious why the CREATE CONTROLFILE option has problems when the source is a
primary, but at least for now we have something that works.

Thanks again everyone.

Don.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ironically now, when I take the method we have for creating a new
controlfile and apply it to cloning from a primary database, it tells me
that datafile 1 needs more recovery when I try to open resetlogs. I even
tried putting the primary into backup mode first just to see if that was
it, but I got the same error. All the online redo logs were in the same
snapshot as the datafiles (same protection group), but it doesn't seem to
want to use them. No errors/complaints from the CREATE CONTROLFILE
statement.

The one thing that I'm curious about is that we ARE changing the DB name
in the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement. Would that impact our ability to use
the online redo logs that were snapshotted?

Don.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Jeremy Schneider <
jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeremy, I'm curious why a backup primary controlfile would work when
recreating a controlfile would not. We've tried the latter and that's
when
it said we had incomplete media recovery. Why would the backup primary
controlfile not also have the same issue?

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Seth, that did appear to work now when I create a new controlfile. I'll
see
how best to script that part of it.

Glad to hear it started working! I couldn't think if any reason that a
create controlfile shouldn't work. Just was pointing out that the
primary controlfile backup works routinely for me to avoid the issue
with standby controlfile backups.

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To answer your question, no we didn't try the
copy-controlfile-from-prod
method. I'll look into that.

Don.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In 11.2 I used to be able to mount the clone, and if the controlfile
was
a standby I would just backup the controlfile and restore it from that
backup and (voila) it would now be a primary. That doesn't seem to be
the
case in 12.1 now. Not sure if that alone is at the root of the
problem.

I was hoping to avoid having to connect to any source databases for
this,
but maybe there's no away around it. It would have been cleaner to
just be
able to snapshot from the storage array and do all the work from the
cloned
instance.

Don.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Jeremy Schneider
<jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files
ORA-00261: log 52 of thread 1 is being archived or modified

well it's nice to hear that this problem still exists in 12c - i'm
very aware of it in 11.2.0.3

it's because the software isn't really able to handle the standby log
which is currently active. i have run into the exact same issue
doing
a "recover datafile" on a clone which was created using a backup
controlfile from the standby. in my case, i simply used the backup
from the primary (and changed nothing else) and i don't have the
issue.

So we go to plan B, which is to try to create a new controlfile.
The
new
CREATE CONTROLFILE script doesn't specify the standby redo logs.

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01196: file 1 is inconsistent due to a failed media recovery
session
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/file/name/here.dbf'

Every variation of this that we've tried fails similarly.

So you did also try taking a backup of the primary controlfile and
restoring this into the standby, then renaming all your logfiles and
datafiles to match the new locations? That has worked for me on
11203
for avoiding the error you mentioned above.

-J

--

http://www.seiler.us

--