Re: Skip_unusable_indexes in 10g

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gparc@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:52:36 -0400

On 07/17/2006 11:58:25 AM, gparc@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi listers,
>
> FYI, skip_unusable_indexes is now a pfile/spfile parameter in 10g
> (not only alter session based as in 8i/9i) and defaults to ... TRUE.
>
> I would prefer FALSE as a better default value.

I must say that I would not prefer false. After a direct load or after moving
tables,
data was inaccessible and there was a nasty error message saying that "index is
unusable"
or something like that. There are situations in which even a full table scan is
a preferred
solution to not being able to retrieve data.
--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com