Single vs Multiple tablespaces

  • From: M Hand <handdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:38:09 -0400

Greetings,

The LMT autoallocate vs uniform extent thread got me thinking on another
general layout question that has been bugging me for a while.  That of a
single tablespace (meaning database creation generated tablespaces, plus
UNDO, plus TEMP, and one for all application segments) or multiple
tablespaces (application segments spread across several or several dozen).
The single tablespace layout is something a recall SAP suggesting at one
point.

In the old days, one of the arguments for multiple tablespaces was to
balance disk I/O, most often implemented by separating a table and its
indices.  RAID, SAN and similar technologies have invalidated this
reasoning.  Another of the old-time reasoning was the limitations of
datafile size and quantity per tablespace and I believe there was a upper
limit of the number of segments per tablespace.

Backup & recovery seems to be the last good argument for keeping application
data in multiple tablespaces, yet many 3rd party apps & data are so complex
& interdependent (I'm thinking SAP here), that a TS PITR would leave you at
great risk of inconsistent data.

So, I'm interested to know if anyone is using a single application
tablespace layout?  Any regrets?

OK, I've left out topics like tablespace migration, but I was thinking along
the lines of a generic Oracle database (if there is such a thing).

Regards,

Mike Hand