Re: Single record insert intermittently slow

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richa03@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:24:43 -0500

Rich,
Just let me understand your problem definition. So you are saying that
sometimes it takes far less than one second to insert a single record and
some times it takes more than 30 minutes? Wow! And earlier it was
consistently less than one second, and you only recently saw it taking more?
Here are my random questions:
     Is it completely random? No pattern to when it takes a short time or
long time? Is the long time consistently long - always 30-minutes? Does it
just randomly take 30-minutes then is quick for many times, then another
long time?
     What else is going on the server during this time? Does the server CPU
max out or go idle? What is the disk I/O during this time?
     What is the SQL like? In my experience, often erratic times results
from changing execution plans. You mention that it is insert record load
table conventional. Do you mean it is something like:
     insert into mytable values ( . . . . - no subqueries, etc.?
     Your table includes a blob. Does the blob size vary a lot? Is the blob
stored in the same tablespace as the other columns? Is the blob stored over
many blocks? I'm just thinking whether there could be any scrambling for
available blocks. Low likelihood, but just thinking.

Dennis Williams