Re: Single Node GI : OLR (OCR ?) and ASM SPFILE backups

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hemantkchitale@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:04:53 +0200

On 19/09/2012 05:40, Hemant K Chitale wrote:
> In a single node Grid Infrastructure install  (used for ASM for Single
> Instance DB),  how do you backup the OLR ? Is there a Cluster Registry to
> backup ?  How do you backup the ASM SPFILE (how would it be restored ?) ?
> Currently, we have root running "ocrconfig -local -manualbackup " to backup
> the OLR to an OS file.

Hi Hemant,
we don't have Single Instance HA in our environment and I don't have
experience with backup/restore of Oracle Restart (I have such experience
with RAC GI 11.2).
That said, the following section in the  Oracle® Clusterware
Administration and Deployment Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2)
gives some hints:

Restoring the Oracle Cluster Registry in an Oracle Restart Environment
(short url: goo.gl/TYr9b).
Quoting the above document:

Notes:
  OCR is present for backward compatibility.
  Once an OCR location is created, it does not get updated in the
  Oracle Restart environment.
  If the Oracle Restart home has been backed up, and if there is a
  failure, then restoring the Oracle Restart home restores OCR.

As far as the asm spfile is concerned, check MOS Note 1062983.1, section
9. Recreate the SPFILE for ASM (optional).
You could back it up with:

create pfile= ... from spfile;

and restore (after starting the asm instance with default parameters
without (s)pfile (11R2)) with:

create spfile from pfile=...;

Best regards
Dimitre